News and Spotlights
Recent news and events in the La Porte ISD Community are highlighted here. Use our submission form to suggest future "News and Spotlights" items.
Elementary Dress Code updated
|Thursday, June 14th, 2007
|La Porte ISD Elementary Dress Code.
The Principals of the elementary schools in La Porte ISD recently met to update the elementary campus handbooks and they focused extensively on the dress code. There was a strong consensus that some changes were needed to present more options for students and parents without compromising the basic standards of dress. Concerns about the current dress code include:
- Inconsistency with the secondary dress code
- Inconsistency between boys and girls requirements
- Volume of parent questions
- Amount of instructional and administrative time spent on enforcement
LPISD Superintendent Dr. Michael Say reviewed and approved the changes on June 13, 2007 (updated Elementary Dress Code). Changes will be effective for the 2007-08 school year.
Major changes to the Elementary Dress Code include:
In any case of dress code dispute, campus principals have the authority to make determinations regarding the appropriateness of student dress.
- Slacks, jeans, pants, and shorts are no longer required to be a solid color. Patterns and/or trim are acceptable.
- Belts are no longer required for pants that have belt loops. However, all clothing must be properly fitted. Sagging of pants will not be permitted.
- Cargo shorts and pants are permitted.
- Leggings are no longer restricted, but they must be worn under a properly fitted skirt or dress.
- Solid black shirts are no longer restricted.
- Baggy/oversized sweatshirts and "hoodies" may be worn to and from school, but must be removed during the school day. Suitable attire must be worn under the sweatshirts and "hoodies."
< Return to previous page