The La Porte ISD elementary dress code will include only a few changes for the 2008-09 school year.
According to Isela Montes, executive director of elementary education, LPISD elementary principals discussed the dress code at a recent meeting and updated the guidelines.
For example, gym shorts and low or revealing tops will not be permitted. Pants with holes, tears or rips, including those purchased with "fashion tears," also will not be allowed.
Guidelines for hair now include "natural coloration" and "non-distracting." Mohawks and other designs cut into the hair are prohibited.
Below is the complete LPISD elementary dress code. The elementary dress code also is available on the LPISD web site.
For more information, contact your child's school.
LPISD Elementary Dress Code
- Clothing Basics:
- Appropriate fit
- Shirts must be tucked in
- The following are prohibited. Clothing, pictures, emblems, or writings on clothing, or jewelry that:
- (1) Are lewd, offensive, vulgar or obscene;
- (2) Advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, weapons, violence, satanic symbols, blood, or death;
- (3) Are evidence of membership or affiliation in any gang, unauthorized club or organization;
- (4) That allows undergarments to be exposed or bares the midriff.
- Any color (designs included) that does not violate the clothing basics
- No holes, tears, or rips in pants, including those purchased with fashion tears
- No sweat pants/windsuits/gym shorts
- No form fitting pants
- Shorts must be fingertip length or longer
- Any color (designs included)
- Must be a length of mid thigh or longer
- Any color or pattern that does not violate clothing basics
- Shirts with collars
- Low cut or revealing tops are not permitted
- Any color
- Closed toe and heel (no sandals, flip-flops, or clogs)
- No skate shoes (including Heelies)
- Worn at all times
- Leggings may be worn under skirts and dresses for hosiery purposes
- Any color or design that does not violate clothing basics
- Over-sized or bulky hoodies and sweatshirts must be removed in the building
- Clean, neatly groomed, natural coloration, and non-distracting such as Mohawks or designs cut into the hair
- No chains
- No sunglasses, hats, bandannas, gloves or head/hand coverings indoors
- Pierced jewelry worn only in the ear
- Tattoos and other drawings on the skin must be covered
- School spirit shirts may be worn
Any form of dress or appearance determined by the principal to be disruptive to the learning environment will be prohibited.